Cracker Barrel Cheesy Potatoes. Cheesy potatoes with a crispy topping and a creamy filling! This delicious copycat recipe makes the BEST cheesy potato casserole you’ve ever had! It’s a crowd-pleaser and extremely simple to prepare.
Delicious for breakfast or brunch and as a side dish for dinner!
This collard greens recipe is another delicious southern side dish – it’s amazing, super savoury, and simple to make, and SO GOOD!
Why will you enjoy this recipe?
I remember going to Cracker Barrel for the first time when I was in Virginia, and I thought I died and went to food-coma heaven!
I ordered chicken fried steak and cheesy hash brown potatoes and left the restaurant about 45 minutes later.
It has remained a favourite ever since!
If you enjoy a good cheesy casserole, you can make it in the comfort of your own home with this simple recipe. It’ll become a family favourite! This is the ideal dinner side dish (or meal, if you’re a potato fanatic like me!) It’s also super simple to make with pantry and freezer staples.
- Shredded frozen hash browns – I love using frozen vegetables as a quick shortcut. You could also use cooked shredded or diced potatoes.
- Use store-bought shredded cheddar cheese or Colby cheese, whichever you prefer.
- Cream of chicken soup and sour cream – low fat or full flavour, both will work and add great flavour to this casserole. Almost any cream soup will do. Cream of cucumbers or cream of mushroom soup can be supplanted.
- A teaspoon of rest of the ingredients
- To add flavour, sprinkle with salt.
- Green spices are an optional side dish.
This is a summary of the instructions for this delectable recipe. Simply scroll down to the bottom for the complete instructions. You’ll love how easy it is to make this recipe!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the thawed hash brown and diced onions.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- The cream of chicken soup comes next.
- Mix in the cheddar cheese.
- Pour in the melted butter.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Mix, mix, mix everything thoroughly!
- Spray the baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the pan with all of the ingredients in the preheated oven and bake until hot and bubbly and the top of the casserole is golden brown.
- Other recipes I’ve seen call for significantly more butter.
- This recipe contains less butter than most, but it retains all of the flavour! Excess butter, in my opinion, just makes it greasy.
Is it okay to use low-fat sour cream or chicken soup?
You certainly can! It also doesn’t make it any less flavorful. With half the fat, this cheesy potato casserole recipe has the best flavouring!
Is it necessary to thaw frozen hash browns before cooking?
Yes, you will require before making the Cracker Barrel cheesy hash brown casserole, the potatoes should be thawed.
Can I substitute fresh potatoes for the frozen hash browns?
Absolutely! If you want to take the time to peel and grate the potatoes, that’s fine. Just make sure to squeeze out any excess water.
Is it possible to freeze hash brown casserole?
Yes! This dish freezes well. Combine all of the ingredients in an airtight, freezer-safe container – I use a ziplock bag. You can keep it for up to three months. Thaw 48 hours in the refrigerator within a week of roasting as directed.
If you want to make the Cracker Barrel Cheesy Potatoes Casserole the day before, take the hash browns out of the freezer and combine all of the ingredients.
Refrigerate overnight. The potatoes will thaw, and the mixture will be poured into the prepared casserole dish and baked as directed the next day.
If you press the ingredients into the pan, they may stick to the pan. Fill the casserole dish gently.
This cheesy potato casserole recipe is also simple to reheat. Simply place the dish (uncovered) in a preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.
- The Cracker Barrel Cheesy Potato Casserole can be made in a variety of ways here are some simple substitutes to consider for your menu.
- Add 1 pound cooked breakfast sausage to the mixture for a quick and easy meal. An additional cup of shredded cheese will help to tie everything together.
- Next time, top it with crushed pistachios.
- To make a super crispy topping, combine potato chips, corn flakes, or Panko bread crumbs with a pinch of parmesan cheese. You’ll need about 12 cup of chips or bread crumbs and 12 cup of cheese.
Got Ritz Crackers? These are also great for a buttery topping!
Dare I suggest bacon? Everything improves as a result of it! 1 pound bacon, cooked until crispy, drained Crumble it and mix it into the mixture, reserving about 14 cup to sprinkle on top. What’s not to like?
Allow leftovers to cool completely to room temperature before storing. Refrigerate after wrapping in plastic wrap. This delectable dish can also be frozen for up to three months.
Suggestions for serving
The simple answer is “a lot of things!” Oh, you’re looking for ideas? I’ve got you covered.
This is a real winner if you’re serving a fancy meal or a holiday meal.
It is serve with Prime Rib, Holiday Turkey, or Glazed Ham. Copycat Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole is a delicious side dish that is much easier to prepare than twice baked potatoes.
Serve with these fried chicken tenders – what a delicious combination!
You can serve with Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole – the cheesy gravy can be used to top the potatoes, yum!
It’s also great for quick meals – slow cooker pork chops, meatballs, or steaks on the grill – YUM!!
Recipes related to
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again potatoes were big when we were kids, and they’re still in some of my favourite recipes. They can be spectacular, such as mashed potatoes or colcannon.
Potatoes are literally a meal in and of themselves. Or your go-to side dish – after all, nothing beats a baked potato, right?
There are a TON of recipes on the blog that are all about potatoes – just type “potato” into the search bar and you’ll find them all!
The most popular soup on the blog is this Potato Soup Recipe! It’s so simple to make and so creamy!
Another family favourite on the blog is this recipe for Copycat Cracker Barrel Fried Apples. I hope you’ll give it a shot soon!
Still hungry for more delectable side dishes? Check out Holiday Side Dish Recipes after that. And by holiday, I mean T-Day, Christmas, New Years, Easter, and so on. Simple recipes that are never complicated and are always delicious! if you want to know more information then click on msdeets.com.